Published by Todd Bush on March 7, 2025
BP's announcement that it had dropped plans for a green hydrogen plant has been described as "bitterly disappointing."
The multinational had previously sought planning permission to build a power plant in Redcar, which would have produced hydrogen by breaking down water using electricity.
But as part of a shift in strategy away from renewables, the firm has now scrapped the scheme.
Leader of Redcar and Cleveland Borough Council, Alec Brown, said that despite the "blow," BP remained committed to "innovative projects" in the region.
>> In Other News: Amazon’s Climate Pledge Fund Backs Twelve’s $83M Expansion to Scale CO₂ Transformation
BP had previously said the construction of HyGreen would create up to 500 jobs, with the likelihood that the "majority" would be taken by people living in the Middlesbrough and Stockton area.
The electricity used at the plant would have mainly been derived from low-carbon sources, and the hydrogen would have been used by industry.
The firm said it would now be focusing on other projects in the area, including Net Zero Teesside and a blue hydrogen plant.
Brown said: "This is bitterly disappointing news - but we remain optimistic about the future."
He said his administration would support all those, including BP, working on green energy projects in the region.
Brown also said these schemes would "help secure jobs" and have "huge potential."
Prof. Sara Walker, who is leading a UK Research and Innovation (UKRI) project into the integration of hydrogen into the wider energy landscape, said the news was a "blow to the decarbonisation of Teesside and to the overall development of green hydrogen in the UK."
However, she said that the government had backed another green hydrogen project in Teesside, developed by EDF.
Tees Valley Mayor Ben Houchen said the combined authority had seen "incredible progress" in its plan to develop Teesside as a "global centre for green energy," and there remained "huge interest" from investors.
But he did not provide a comment on BP scrapping a scheme he had previously described as a "coup for the region" that would create "well-paid, good-quality jobs."
Follow the money flow of climate, technology, and energy investments to uncover new opportunities and jobs.
Inside This News ⚡ IRS Expands and Extends 45Q Safe Harbor, Offering Long-Term Certainty to Carbon Capture Projects 🌊 South Korea Signs MoU for 320MW Green Hydrogen Complex 🌱 Senken and Carbonsate...
Inside This Issue 📋 GAO Report Flags Oversight Gaps in 45Q Carbon Capture Credit 💰 Google Opens 2026 R&D Awards Offering $6M+ for Carbon Removal and Superpollutant Research 🌍 NEOM Green Hydrog...
Inside This Issue 🪟 Cardinal Glass to Deploy World's First Carbon Capture System at Float Glass Plant 🔬 SunHydrogen's Solar-to-Hydrogen Modules Exceed 10% Efficiency in SPARC Testing, Advancing to...
Hazer-KBR Alliance Secures Paid Study with Leading Japanese Power Utility
Highlights Tier-1 Japanese utility enters paid study assessing integration and potential deployment of Hazer technology at 30,000 and 300,000 tonne per annum First KBR-originated paid commerc...
Global Power Solutions Advances Modular Hydrogen Power System With Proposed First Equipment Purchase
Vancouver, British Columbia, Aug. 17, 2026 -- Global Power Solutions Corp. (TSXV: PWER) (FSE: NJA) (“Global” or the “Company”) is pleased to announce that it intends to make its first equipment pur...
Mombak Beat Google's 2028 Carbon Deadline by Two Years
Mombak delivered more than 21,000 metric tonnes of verified carbon removal to Google, McKinsey, and other buyers in August 2026. Some buyers expected those credits in 2028. The early delivery gives...
NextChem will provide licensing, Process Design Package (PDP) and engineering services for the syngas section of Project Lion in North Queensland, leveraging its proprietary NX Circular™ Gasificat...
Follow the money flow of climate, technology, and energy investments to uncover new opportunities and jobs.