Published by Todd Bush on December 2, 2025
BP has pulled out of building a hydrogen plant on Teesside following a row over whether the site would be better suited to housing a data centre instead.
A government decision on whether the plant at Teesworks in Redcar could be built had been due this week.
But the energy firm backed out before the decision could be made, citing a "material change in circumstances" to the land that the plant had been due to be built on.
The project, H2Teesside, had been mired in controversy after landowners South Tees Group (STG) sought permission to build a data centre there instead. Teesworks Ltd, which is part of STG, said it wanted to maximise the land's benefit for locals.
BP said the data centre planning application had been part of the "material change in circumstances" the land had faced.
>> In Other News: IMO Picks Council Members But Net Zero Framework Hiatus Raises Red Flag For Potential Fragmentation Of Shipping Decarbonization
A spokesperson said: "We continue to move forward with other projects on Teesside, including our investments in Net Zero Teesside Power and the Northern Endurance Partnership, and remain an active partner in the region."
BP began the application process for a development consent order (DCO), which is required for nationally significant infrastructure projects, in March 2024.
If the government had granted the firm a DCO on Thursday, it would have been given the power to compulsorily purchase the land it needs.
But Teesworks Ltd had attacked the plans and in August received planning permission from Redcar and Cleveland Borough Council to build a giant AI data centre there instead.
In a letter detailing its opposition to BP's plans, STG claimed the proposed data centre was of "critical national importance".
BP previously said it was willing to have discussions aimed at finding a solution "that would enable both developments to co-exist".
Previously, it had said the development would have had a "peak construction workforce of 1,300 jobs".
Teesworks is run as a joint venture between the publicly owned and funded South Tees Development Corporation, led by the Tees Valley Combined Authority (TVCA), and Teesside businessmen Martin Corney and Chris Musgrave.
The men initially owned 50% of the shares in Teesworks, but that increased to 90% in 2021 with the remaining 10% staying in public hands.
Mr. Musgrave, Teesworks Ltd's chairman, said: "Our focus is on ensuring land at Teesworks delivers the maximum benefit for local people and secures Teesside's position at the forefront of the UK's fast-growing tech and clean energy industries."
The Department for Energy Security and Net Zero (DESNZ) said the decision to pull out had been made by BP.
"We continue to provide a route for hydrogen projects in Teesside, including Tees Green Hydrogen, which is moving towards final investment decision, along with several other projects creating high-quality jobs for the region," a spokesperson said.
Follow the money flow of climate, technology, and energy investments to uncover new opportunities and jobs.
Inside This Issue ✈️ Pittsburgh Airport Is Building America's First On-Site SAF Plant 📝 Wren's 2026 Request for Proposals 🍁 Canada Expands CCUS Investment Tax Cr to Include Enhanced Oil Recovery 🏭...
Inside This Issue 🍁 Carney To Visit Calgary On Friday To Announce Industrial Carbon Pricing Deal, Sources Say 🚆 Frontier Advances CO₂-By-Rail System With Key Carbon Market Milestones ⛽ US House Pa...
Inside This Issue 🧬 Caravel Bio Accelerates Cost-Efficient Carbon Capture With Novel Protein Engineering 🧂 Akros Energy Inaugurates Pilot Plant For Salt-Based Hydrogen Storage 🍁 Anaergia’s Rhode I...
Wren's 2026 Request for Proposals
Wren invites organizations working to implement climate solutions to apply to our 2026 request for proposals. Selected organizations will receive funding via a grant or a carbon credit purchase (of...
EVOLOH Launches Commercial-Scale Hydrogen Project at 3M Facility
Milestone agreement marks EVOLOH's largest deployment to date, validating its innovative electrolyzer stack technology in a demanding industrial environment SANTA CLARA, CA / ACCESS Newswire / May...
Emissions Reduction Alberta (ERA) is investing $50 million through its annual Industrial Transformation Challenge to bolster the competitiveness of Alberta’s industrial and natural resources sector...
With a Possible Referendum Looming, Carney and Smith Find Common Ground on Carbon Pricing
Prime Minister Says He Hopes Albertans See a 'Canada That Works' On Friday morning in Calgary, Mark Carney and Danielle Smith shook hands, then signed and posed with official copies of an "impleme...
Follow the money flow of climate, technology, and energy investments to uncover new opportunities and jobs.